Friday, June 12, 2009

quite a contradiction

I'm so not into smoking. But, my neighbor just lit up and the smell of the first drag is actually one of my all time favs. It reminds me of my Grandpa who had is own special smoking room in the garage with a metal stool and a black and white TV. When we were kids, I have memories of walking past the garage door, going in and sitting down to talk with him. The smell of him lighting up a cigarette, with his big smile and huge ears is like home to me. Now my Grandpa is gone, but I get to see him every summer. There is a hummingbird that perches himself on the same branch every year and spies on me from our deck. I have always thought from the beginning that this bird is him, coming to check up on me, with a cigarette in his mouth, blowing me the first light.

No comments:

Post a Comment