Tuesday, June 30, 2009

beans and cheese anytime of the day

So, let's talk soul food. In great hopes that everyone has some 'soul' to go home too, it's the best thing since sliced bread, I mean warm torts. I love love love the fact that when I go home to 'Pops' house, I get my dose everytime. My dad always shoving a bowl of green chile in my face with a bag of broken up corn chips, asking me my opinion on his new recipe. The funny thing is, it always tastes the same to me. The chiles are so hot that most of the time I can't tell the difference. And salsa, it's like a foodgroup. Without a doubt, always tubbed up in the fridge, paired delisciously with any meal. Seriously.
And, as it happens to be, I was in luck when I married my husband, a tall dark and handsome Phillipino, with a last name that granted me permission to still belong among my peeps. And the food that came with the package...off the hook. Not to mention when 'mom' is cooking, that woman is the real deal. No messing around, and all secrets about her recipes. When I once thought beans and cheese, torts and chips, were the essential in every kitchen, I now add to my list rice and meat, garlic and soy.

1 comment: